On June 3, 2015, at 10:00 am, the Senate Committee on Health Education Labor and Pensions (“HELP”) will hold a hearing on college affordability as part of their work on reauthorizing the Higher Education Act. The hearing will be held in room 430 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building, and will be live streamed on the hearing website. The witnesses for the hearing are:
- Dr. Judith Scott-Clayton,Assistant Professor of Economics and Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Dr. Elizabeth Akers,Fellow, Brown Center on Education Policy, The Brookings Institution
- Dr. F. King Alexander,President and Chancellor, Louisiana State University
- Mr. Michael Mitchell,Policy Analyst,Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Mr. James Kennedy,Associate Vice President for University Student Services and Systems
As an aside, I had the pleasure of working with Dr. Akers when she was with the Council of Economic Advisers and helping the Department of Education in creating the programs under the Ensuring Continued Access to Student Loans Act of 2008. Her testimony is well worth reading.